In modern companies, there is a clear trend towards the development of virtual technologies of remote work. It is explained by highly-developed secure methods of defending confidential data during business operations.
What is the purpose of the data room?
The creation of modern information security systems, in particular at the level of corporate communication networks, which are leading in the modern infrastructure of the enterprise, is based on a comprehensive approach that covers the principles of systematic analysis of the subject area. The structure of the integrated approach is focused on creating a secure environment for information processing based on methods and means of counteracting relevant threats.
Documents placed in Data Rooms are usually confidential and marked as of high value to the owner. Along with uploading typical information that should always be protected, more and more companies pay closer attention to security and protect information from such areas as intellectual property or patents using Virtual Data Room software. This is further followed by the urgency to be compliant with the updated (and strict) GDPR requirements.
Information in the Data Room is considered protected if it has three of the above properties:
- Confidential information – such information, access to which is allowed for legal entities and prohibited for others (illegal entities).
- Information integrity is a property of information in which in the process of processing or transmitting information any modifications are either prohibited or performed only by legal entities.
- Availability of information – information should be available to all, without exception, legal entities.
Data Rooms provide a simple and unified interaction between the provider and the user and include software, like a service subsystem, and a database with multiple access. These systems dynamically allocate computing resources in response to requests for resource reservation by the user and, accordingly, to certain standards of customer service.
Methods of information protection in the Data Room
The integrated approach to data protection is effectively used in modern concepts of information security of means of transmission/reception of signals, physical channels, and communication networks. The principles of building information security of Digital Data Room are based on:
- a conceptual model of information security for the relevant communication technology, taking into account aspects of transmission/reception of the physical signal, the physical environment – the channel, network, hardware, and software of digital communication systems;
- adequate mathematical model of the signal (channel), which includes the parameters of qualitative and quantitative levels of the relationship between the input and output signal.
The synthesis of the two models holistically reflects the qualitative and quantitative level of information protection in the Data Room.
User authentication and access settings
Data Room service is a dynamic space in which user data is transferred from the data center to the user client. For the system, user data is constantly changing. The ability to read and write data depends on the identity of user authentication and access settings. The virtual machine may contain various user data that must be controlled.
In cloud computing, the single sign-on and corporate security scheme are relevant. In this case, the system contacts the access control service to authenticate the request to the web service. The web service does not implement its authentication scheme but delegates this task to an external server. After receiving confirmation of authenticity, the web service interacts with the data warehouse to provide information.